Ranchi Club prides itself in its heritage buildings with long verandahs, a large campus with spread out lawns and age old trees. Ranchi Club is located in the heart of the city of Ranchi, which now is the capital of the state of Jharkhand. Ranchi Club can boast of being the best address in the city.
The Executive Committee is pleased to launch the new website of Ranchi Club Ltd.
Ranchi Club has a history of more than 135 years of tradition and transition. It is a tough task to paint the entire picture of the Club in such a small canvas, in the form of a website. However, we have tried to provide all possible information about the Club, keeping in mind various categories of visitors.
The striking features which come to the notice of a person visiting the Club, are it’s heritage architecture, acres of greenery, state-of the-art facilities and the age old traditions. The website has been designed to reflect these prominent features of the Club too.
We trust visitors will like the fresh look of our new website and appreciate the ease of accessing information. The website will be constantly updated. We look forward to suggestions from users.
Ranchi Club Ltd. is governed by a nine member Executive Committee elected at the AGM.
The Club is accessed by the two most important arterial roads of Ranchi, i.e Mahatma Gandhi Road (Main Road) and the Club Road. The Club campus is located just about two kilometres from the Ranchi Railway Station and about three kilometres from the Birsa Munda Airport.
The Club offers a number of outdoor and indoor sports facilities including Swimming Pool, unisex Fitness Centre, Yoga, Billiards, Squash, Tennis, Badminton and a scenic Walking Track. Other facilities include a Guest House, Library, Card Rooms, State-of-the-art Auditorium, Convenience Store, Banquet Hall and excellent dining facilities for a choice of delicious cuisine.
The Club organises a number of entertainment programmes throughout the year, which are of the highest quality. The Club is affiliated to a number of prestigious Clubs throughout the country.
The Ranchi Club Campus also houses The Rotary Hall, The Lions Hall, The Freemasons Hall and The International Library & Cultural Centre (previously the British Council Library).
Ranchi Club was founded in the year 1886 and thus its timeline straddles three centuries. The erstwhile Maharaja Pratap Udai Nath Shah Deo of Chhotanagpur provided 9.8 acres of land to the Club. Founded as a Club predominantly for Britishers, army personnel, administrators and prominent citizens of Ranchi, including the Maharaja himself, over the years, the Club has shifted to a heterogenous mix of members from all walks of life.
After Independence, the Club started inducting persons from varied walks of life, thereby creating a cosmopolitan mix. The list of members now consists of top business leaders, government officers, professionals and so on. The first office bearers to serve the Club after Independence were Sir John Houlton & Mr. P. K. Choudhary, who held the office of the President and Hony. Secretary respectively in the year 1947-48.
Initially, the Club comprised of just the Club House. Over the years, various developmental activities were accomplished to give it the shape that one can see today. The Club has retained its heritage and blended its traditions with modernity. In the year 1906 the Club was incorporated into a Company and it was renamed Ranchi Club Limited. The Club started inducting lady members from the year 2010. During the Annual General Meeting, a nine member Executive Committee is elected, which shoulders the responsibility of managing the Club.